If you’ve been reading my blog since before I took my break, you’ll probably remember this post from last year. I decided to bring back this post and share 23 things I’ve learned before turning 23 at the end of the month.
23 Things I’ve Learned by 23:
1. Enjoy the little things in life. Things that once brought you joy may later be taken for granted, and then you’ll miss them when they’re gone.
2. We need to learn to take better care of the environment and the world around us. Even the smallest changes like saying “no” to an extra plastic bag at the grocery store can make a big difference over time.
3. Less is more. I’ve started to embrace a more minimalistic lifestyle, and with each thing I declutter, I feel more and more relieved and weight lifted off my shoulders.
4. Mental health is something that needs to be talked about more. We need to help end the stigma that surrounds it. Check on your loved ones and make sure they’re doing okay.
5. Try investing in moments (like traveling or concerts) rather than material things every once in a while. You’ll find the reward to be much greater.
6. Life isn’t a race. You should live life at your own pace. More on that topic here.
7. You don’t have to have your whole life planned out right now. Just focus on where you are in this current moment.
8. Any moment can be a fresh start. You don’t have to wait until the new year or the “right time” to change your life. You can start right now.
9. With the latest technology, we spend more time than we want to admit with our eyes glued to a screen. It’s important to take a break and disconnect from time to time.
10. Your success in life isn’t determined by your job or money, but rather by your own happiness in life.
11. It’s important to love yourself before you can love anyone else. If you don’t love the person you are, you may let insecurity and jealousy get the best of you.
12. Music can turn a bad mood into a good one. Hop in your car and drive around with the music turned up and sing your heart out.
13. Stop waiting for people to call, text or make plans. If you want to talk to or hangout with someone, take the initiative every now and then.
14. Don’t let fear of failing prevent you from doing the things you want to do.
15. It’s never too late to learn something new. You can go back to school, learn a new hobby, read a book or just research different topics online. Educating yourself is one of the best things you can do for yourself.
16. Stop comparing yourself to others. You never know what struggles someone is facing in their own life.
17. Treating yourself is important, just make sure you don’t get stuck on that mentality or you’ll end up spending all of your money.
18. Don’t take life too seriously. Life is too short to not be silly and laugh a little sometimes.
19. You don’t owe anyone anything. Don’t feel like you have to text or call someone. Save your time and energy for the good people in your life.
20. Stop making judgements of other people. You don’t know who they are or what they’ve been through.
21. Don’t be afraid to like something, or not like something just because of other people. Do the things you enjoy because you like them, not because it’s what everyone else likes (I’m looking at you Pokémon Go.)
22. Good things come to those who wait. If you’re still waiting for something good to happen, be patient because your time is coming.
23. Nobody likes you when you’re twenty-three (If you get this reference, we can be friends). No, but really, I learned the lyrics are “I WORE COLOGNE,” not “I WALK ALONE.” Mind blown.
What are the life lessons you’ve learned over the years?
Until next time,